Saturday, August 21, 2010

Yummy and Easy Together in Broccoli Cheese Soup!

You can probably tell I have an obsession with soups. I like to make one a week, for a healthy, easy, fast meal during the week, when I don't have a lot of time to cook or eat. This one is super easy, and very tasty. It starts off the way most of my meals do...sauteing onion and garlic. My momma always used to tell me and my girlfriends, that to make a husband happy when he came home from work, was to have an onion sauteing, and even if you had no idea what you were going to make, it gave him hope that a meal was forthcoming and he could then go happily off doing other things, and leave you to figure out what was next without input. Whew!!! Awesome run-on sentence...or stream of consciousness in my case :) Of course the cheese is an essential component. I always choose to be the cheese grater/taster...I am really good at testing!! The broccoli is from my bountiful basket. I have a lot of meals to make in the next couple days, I need to use my bountiful basket bounty in fun ways before the week and 12-16 hour work days begin!! woohoo!! So keep eating!!!

Sara’s Broccoli Cheese Soup

1 lg head broccoli cut up
½ cup butter or margarine
1 med onion, chopped
½ cup flour
Salt and pepper to taste
2-cups milk
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup medium Cheddar cheese, grated ( umm....and then add even more, cheese is awesome.)

Cook broccoli pieces in small amount of water.  Sauté onions in butter until transparent. Add flour.  Add milk slowly, stirring continually.  Stir in cheese and blend until smooth.  Slowly blend chicken broth into mixture.  Add broccoli.  Stir to mix well and season to taste.  Simmer about 15 minutes.

Added pictures of my bountiful baskets bounty...because it is pretty.


5 comments:

  1. Hehehe and I thought all I had to do was throw some broccoli, a jar of cheese whiz and some milk in a pan and tada! Looks like a good recipe Sara...just warn your vegetarian friends!
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always change it to vegetable broth when entertaining vegetarians...it is still yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmm... I did not get broccoli in my basket - I know we shop in the same basket shop :-) Saw you there ... odd

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sara,
    I love soup too! and cheese!!! I am also a very expert cheese taster...
    looks yummy!!

    Thanks from Malena!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a similar recipe that has oregano on top at the end. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete