Thursday, August 12, 2010

Green Chili and Cheese Enchiladas

I have been wanting to use my green chilies from my bountiful basket for enchiladas.   So, tonight green chili enchiladas!!  I am making mine with chicken but I am adding variations for my vegetarian friends.  It was a little difficult to write down some of the exact measurements, because I just sometimes throw in this and that until it tastes right, but I tried!!!  I also have decided that I need to find an apron with full sleeves because taking things in and out of the oven is very dangerous for me...especially when I have put on "So You Think You Can Dance " and am watching Pasha dance over...and over...and over...I also may have almost burned the cream of chicken soup.  However, I didn't and the enchiladas are fabulous!  Happy eating!!
Green Chili and Cheese Enchiladas

2 dozen corn tortillas, flash fried
3-4 fresh green chilies roasted and chopped (I broil my until browned, peel off skin) or 1 small can of diced green chili
2 cups shredded cheese
2 pints sour cream
2 cups of homemade cream of chicken soup  or 2 cans of cream of chicken soup(I use mushroom for my vegetarian friends)
2 cups of chicken, cooked and cut up

Easy Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup
6 tbsp. butter
1 diced onion
1 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 c. flour
1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. light cream
3 c. chicken broth (to this I add caldo de pollo bouillon to mix…adds some nice kick)
1 c. finely chopped chicken
Melt butter in pan, sauté onion until translucent, add garlic.  Blend in the flour. Add milk, cream and broth. Cook and stir until it thickens and comes to a boil. Reduce heat. Stir in chicken and a dash of pepper.

Mix sour cream, soup,  green chili, 1 cup of cheese and chicken.  Spoon layer of sour cream mixture on bottom of casserole pan.  Dip corn tortillas in hot oil, and lay 1 layer on top of mixture on bottom of pan.  Repeat layer of sour cream mix and tortilla’s until sour cream mixture runs out and is the last layer.  Put in hot 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.  Half way through add rest of cheese.

flash frying the tortillas

2 comments:

  1. I always wanted a recipe for homemade cream of chicken soup! This is the best blog ever!!

    ReplyDelete