Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Mother of all Gazpacho

I had never even heard of Gazpacho until a few years ago when I had a tomato and pepper garden and no idea what to do with all the tomatoes and peppers.  My mom suggested gazpacho..."cold tomato soup?" I queried incredulously, you have to be kidding.  She wasn't, and being the dutiful...okay, curious daughter that I am, I made it for her, and have made it every summer since.  I base mine off of the America's Test Kitchen recipe, because it is the best.  I like my gazpacho like myself, happily chunky.  Once again I use my favorite secret ingredient, which is not so secret, and ask you to enjoy the Mother of all Gazpacho and party on Garth!





Chunky Gazpacho
(which doesn't have to be chunky if you don't want it to be...all you have to do is blenderize  it! yes I know blenderize is not a word, but slenderize and tenderize are, so I vote for blenderize!!! )


4-5 ripe tomatoes cored and cut into 1/4-inch cubes   
1 large red bell pepper cored, seeded, and cut into slices  then into 1/4-inch cubes  
1 large cucumber peeled and the and  seeded and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
3 medium cloves  garlic , minced or pressed through a garlic press
1 teaspoons  table salt   
1/3 cup  vinegar, sherry or my personal favorite, red wine vinegar
5-6 cups  tomato juice   
1 to 11/2 teaspoon  hot pepper sauce depending on how much spice you like,  my secret ingredient and makes you come back for more, Chipotle Tabasco sauce 
8 ice cubes 

**this time I also added on finely chopped celery stalk, finely chopped carrot, and not so finely chopped, but heavily sampled avocado.

**serve with cubed French bread or garlic croutons.

1. Combine the tomatoes, bell pepper, cucumber, onions, garlic, salt, vinegar, and pepper in a large (at least 4-quart) nonreactive bowl. Let stand until the vegetables just begin to release their juices, about 5 minutes. I like to let it sit for even longer, like 10 minutes.  Stir in the tomato juice, hot pepper sauce, if using, and ice cubes. Cover tightly and refrigerate to blend flavors, at least 4 hours and up to 2 days.
2. Adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper and remove and discard any unmelted ice cubes. Serve cold, drizzling each portion with about 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil and topping with the desired garnishes.

1 comment:

  1. Sara, you are one funny girl! I vote for "blenderize" too....plus your gazpacho, which looks delicious!! I can't wait to try it!

    Thanks from Malena!!

    ReplyDelete