Sunday, August 15, 2010

Adventures in Pineapple Upside-down Caking and bonus bean dip

Yes, I know caking is not a word...but it worked for this post! :) So as many of you know, I made a pineapple upside down cake on Friday and proceeded to burn myself by losing my thumb positioning on the heavy ceramic pan and it slipping backwards and burning me. Being the glutton for punishment that I am, I decided to try again. This is an easy recipe with a box cake shortcut, that I thought I would share anyway and as an added bonus, I am including for the first hundred readers the Anderson Famous Bean Dip recipe...which isn't really a recipe but a conglomeration of lactose ingredients with a few beans and spice in between. So enjoy and try to not to burn yourself!!

my favorite part... the caramelized nuts... so heavenly!

Easy Pineapple Upside-down Cake

1 can sliced pineapple, drained (reserve some of the pineapple juice and replace some of  the water in the cake with pineapple juice)
1 stick of butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup nuts of your choice, halved or chopped
1 box of white or yellow cake mix I look for super moist or pudding in the mix ones (which usually calls for eggs, oil and water)

In a bowl, mix the box cake as directed on the back of the box.

Melt the butter and pour on the bottom of a 9x13 pan, sprinkle the brown sugar over the butter evenly. Add the nuts evenly over the top and add the pineapple in rows on top of the butter/sugar mix. Add the cake mix on top of the pineapple.

Add the cake to the preheated oven (see box for temperature) and cook for time designated on the box.

Take cake out of the oven and using a cookie sheet, flip the cake onto the cookie sheet so that the cake is on the bottom and the pineapple and brown sugar at the top. Using a spoon carefully remove extra sugar and nuts on the bottom of the pan and eat it, making sure it is cooled first.

Yeehaw!


Anderson's Famous Bean Dip

3 cups refried beans or (2 cans of Rosarita's refried beans)
1/2 block of cream cheese
1/2 cup of sour cream
1/2 cup cheddar cheese
2 Tbsp of bottled jalapenos, pureed with some of the beans or 2 Tbsp of salsa or my personal favorite, 2 tsps of Chipotle Tabasco sauce

In a crock pot or sauce pan, mix in beans, cream cheese, sour cream, 1/2 of the cheese and spice of your choosing. Warm it up on med-low, melting everything slowly and testing often, add more spice and rest of cheese near the end to get some good melting. Serve with chips and enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I make what we call "Yummy beans"-I saute onions and green chilies, puree them and then add to canned beans w/ sour cream, cheese, and taco seasoning. Bake or put in crock-pot. I'm gonna try cream cheese next time- great idea and I bet your beans are really creamy. Thanks for sharing Sara. Elaine A

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the cake recipe. Glad the burn isn't as big as I thought it would be. Thought you'd bring us cake crumbs for our SS lesson today.
    ;( Have to pass on the bean dip, lactose intolerant. I mix tomatoes and chilis with mine.' Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. This bean dip recipe made my mouth water reading it! Love the idea of pureed jalepenos! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Caking IS a word!! (at least now it is!!)
    That topping for the pineapple upside down cake sounds (and looks) decadently wonderful!

    Thanks from Malena!!

    ReplyDelete