Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Crunchy Strawberry Spinach Salad

One of my fabulous relatives has a fantastic health blog.  She shares recipes, exercise and emotional heath tips that are wonderful.  Her name is Brooke Yool and her site is:  http://youcangetfit.wordpress.com/ 

She posted a recipe recently that I had to try.  So last night I made it for an after Sabino Canyon hike to share with my hiking friend.  This was a great recipe, and I changed it up a bit for me, and it was satisfying, tasty, and heathy.  Fantastic!  It includes ramen noodles, that sounds strange, but the sauteing of them help to change their consistency to a toasted crunchiness.  If I were to do this again, I would replace some of the sugar with honey and add a tablespoon of orange juice and a bit of grated rind.  So good salading!!!


Crunchy Strawberry Spinach Salad


1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 3 oz package ramen (noodles only)
1 c almond slices
1/4 c vegetable oil
2 tbsp white sugar                                                                                                           
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp soy sauce
8 strawberries
fresh ground pepper
6 oz baby spinach
2 c sliced strawberries
1. Heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat until hot. Crumble ramen noodles (set seasoning packet aside for another use) into skillet. Add nuts. Stir frequently to toast nuts and noodles, toasting for 3-5 minutes. Keep them moving to avoid burning. Remove from heat and let cool.
2. Make dressing: In a blender, place 1/4 c vegetable oil, sugar, red wine vinegar, soy sauce, and a few turns of black pepper, and 8 strawberries.  Blend and place in container with a tight lid. 
3. Assemble salad: In large bowl, combine spinach and strawberry slices. Add cooled nuts and noodles; toss to combine. Top with dressing; toss to mix thoroughly. You are ready to serve!


2 comments:

  1. thanks for the shout-out, Sara! I'll have to try your changes! (Would you believe the original recipe I found called for 1/2 stick of butter and 1/4 c oil??!?!?! Aieeee!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yikes! I am glad you modified it into such a fantastic recipe. I really enjoyed it a lot!!!

    ReplyDelete