Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Quinoa Chili

I am teaching a class on healthy eating for one or two people.  Someone made the joke, that even though I cook for myself, I don't cook for one.  That is true, I then have to feed the world.  I deliver food to all takers.  :)  I am bringing my black bean and corn salad, spinach and sweet potato stir fry and this quinoa chili.  My cousin Brooke just posted this on her health blog on Friday and I have been dying to try it, so I decided tonight would be a good night to make it for myself and share it with others.  It is soooo good.  I only made a few changes, I used kidney beans that I cooked, and I add a dash of chipotle salsa that I had made, because, why not?  I also added extra corn, because I love super sweet corn. .   So try it out (with a dollop of sour cream) and enjoy!  Happy quinoaing!!!!


Quinoa Chili
adapted from Food.com by Brooke Yool

http://youcangetfit.wordpress.com/
2 cans  beans, rinsed and drained  (or cook your own)
2 tsp vegetable oil
1 medium onion, chopped                                                                  
1 tsp salt
1 bell pepper (any color), chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (more if you like it hot!)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2/3 c quinoa, rinsed and drained
1 c frozen corn (I love BirdsEye super sweet...I like extra)
1 (15.5 oz) can tomato sauce  (If you have any salsa or tabasco sauce add a bit for more kick)
1 c water
1. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onions, and saute until tender.
2. Add salt, garlic, pepper, and spices; saute 5-10 minutes.
3. Add rinsed quinoa and stir. Add corn, tomato sauce, and water to onion/quinoa mixture. Simmer 20 minutes.
4. Add beans to the pot and simmer another 15 minutes.
5. Serve as-is (which tastes perfectly fine!) or with your favorite toppings: cheese, sour cream, avocados...

No comments:

Post a Comment