Monday, July 18, 2011

Spicy Black Bean Burger and Vinegar and Salt Kale Chips

I know, I know...I was skeptical also, but for the burger, I trusted the Pioneer Woman's recommendation.  She has never led me astray, and since I wanted to increase my bean intake, I thought this was the way to go.  My bountiful basket provided the kale, and I never know what to do with kale, and these chips were suggested, they just added olive oil and salt, but I like vinegar.  It all worked out and I feel great!  So here is some more tasty, healthy eats!!

Spicy Black Bean Burgers

6 Ingredients

  • 1 whole Jalapeno (I didn't have a jalapeno, so I used chipotle sauce)
  • 2 cloves Garlic
  • 2 cans (15 Oz.) Black Beans, Drained And Rinsed
  • 2 teaspoons Cumin
  • 1-¼ teaspoon Salt
  • 1 Tablespoon Ground Flax
  • 3 Tablespoons Water
  • ½ cups Panko Breadcrumbs
  • 2 Tablespoons Tomato Sauce
  • ½ cups Corn, Fresh Or Frozen And Defrosted
  • 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil, For Frying Burgers
  • 6 whole Hamburger Buns
  • Optional Garnishes: Avocado Slices, Sriracha Chili Sauce And Ketchup
 Preparation Instructions
Seed and roughly chop the jalapeno. Add it and the garlic cloves to a food processor (or high speed blender) and mince finely. (Alternatively, you could chop them yourselves very finely but it’s just easier at this point to throw them into a food processor.)
Add one can of beans to the jalapeno/garlic mixture and pulse to combine. Add cumin and salt and pulse until mixture resembles chunky black bean dip.
In a small bowl, mix together the ground flax and water. Let the mixture sit for five minutes.
Transfer the mixture in the food processor to a large bowl and stir in the bread crumbs, tomato sauce, flax mixture and corn. Stir well until everything is combined. Add remaining can of black beans.
Heat a little olive oil in a skillet on medium high heat. Form black bean mixture into patties and fry for about 4 minutes per side, until golden and crusty brown.
Serve burgers with avocado slices, sriracha chili sauce and ketchup.

Baked Kale Chips



  • 1 bunch kale
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
  • 1 tablespoon of vinegar

Directions

  1. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a non insulated cookie sheet with parchment paper.
  2. With a knife or kitchen shears carefully remove the leaves from the thick stems and tear into bite size pieces. Wash and thoroughly dry kale with a salad spinner. Drizzle kale with olive oil and sprinkle with seasoning salt.
  3. Bake until the edges brown but are not burnt, 10 to 15 minutes.

1 comment: