Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Sonoran Hot Dogs

Long ago my brother told me about a hot dog place in South Tucson.  Bacon wrapped, with pinto beans, onions, tomatoes, mayo and chili sauce.  Sounded a little suspicious to me, but Corey has a some good taste in food, so I took his word on it, and glad I did!  Sonoran style hot dogs, are all the rage in Tucson now.  You will find them in corner stands all over town, and people debating which is the best. Well, for fun the other night, I gather a group of my friends together and we made our own.  The buns were soft Sonoran style buns, that I find in bakery's in South Tucson.  These are truly a fabulous treat!

Sonoran Style Hot Dogs













  •  all-beef hot dogs
  •  extra-thin bacon
  •  torpedo rolls or bolillos
  • 2 chopped avocado or guacamole
  • 1/2 chopped onion
  • 1/2 onion chopped and caramelized
  • 2 chopped tomatoes
  • 3 cups drained cooked pinto beans
  •  mayonnaise
  • mustard
  • 1 teaspoon Tabasco or other hot sauce (I make my own by roasting a bunch of chilies and pureeing them together)
  • I also like my tomatillo salsa on it (recipe is somewhere on this site)

  • Wrap a piece of bacon around the hot dog, grill bacon wrapped hot dogs until crisp.  They get black fast!!!
  • Put dog in sonoran style roll, add: beans, both types of onion, tomatoes, hot sauce, mayo and mustard.

  • Devour in blissful happiness!

No comments:

Post a Comment