Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Pozole!!

I have been craving pozole for some time.  My friend Curtis posted a picture of what he made on facebook, and it took me over the edge from craving to doing.  He sent me his recipe, and I combined it, with one I already had to create my own version.  Yeehaw!!  so I chopped and cooked, all while watching Muppets take Manhattan, for comidic flare.  I used roasted poblano peppers that I had bought at a farmers market, but roasted green chilies would have been awesome also.  So here is what I created.  Enjoy!!!


Pozole

  • 1 rotisserie chicken shredded
  • 1/2 tablespoon cumin powder
  • ½ onion chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • ¼ tsp chili powder
  • salt to taste
  • 1/4 teaspoon oregano
  • 4 cups white hominy, drained and rinsed 
  • 3 -5 cups chicken broth
  • ½ cup  chili verde sauce
  • 2 whole roasted poblano chilies or 3 roasted green chilies
  • ¼ cup green onions chopped
  • 1 tomato bouillon
  • Chop the onion and sauté until soft. 
  • Peel and chop the 2 garlic cloves, and add to the onion.
  • Chop the chilies and add it and the hominy and chicken to the pot.
  • Cook for a little bit, then add salt, pepper, cumin, oregano, green onions, chili verde sauce, broth and tomato bouillon.
  • 13 Cook at a simmer, covered, for 45 to 60 minutes until the hominy is tender.
  • 14 If necessary, cook for up to an additional 60 minutes until the chilies and onions are well blended into the broth.
Update
oregano from my herb garden!




No comments:

Post a Comment