Sunday, September 12, 2010

Rocky Road for Josh

Today is my friend Josh's birthday.  He has been a good and patient friend.  He is able to deal with the ridiculous and is able to keep me laughing, he is also an excellent listener and whose wisdom and advice I respect.  He deserves a great present.  So we are having a birthday dinner for him tonight, with homemade personal pan pizzas and I decided to make his favorite ice cream...Rocky Road.  I haven't attempted R.R. before, so this is a delicious experiment.  I haven't yet made a chocolate ice cream to my liking.  I don't really like the custard ice cream bases, too thick.  So I modified a custard based with my sweet cream base and used various chocolates to try and kick it up a bit.  I think it quite lovely and overly addicting.  I hope Josh concurs!!  :) Happy ice creaming!!


Rocky Road Ice Cream
2 cups heavy cream
¼ cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder (Hershey’s Dark is fabulous!)
1 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
1 cup whole milk
½ milk chocolate, chopped (or just use chocolate chips                                       
¾ cup sugar
2 eggs
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup miniature marshmallows, halved
1 cup walnuts, chopped
½ cup chocolate chips
1. Warm 1 cup of the cream with the cocoa powder in a medium saucepan, whisking to thoroughly blend the cocoa. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer at a very low boil for 30 seconds, whisking constantly. Remove from the heat and add the chopped bittersweet and milk chocolate, stirring until smooth. Then stir in the remaining 1 cup cream. Pour the mixture into a large bowl and refrigerate.
2. Whisk the milk, egg and sugar in a bowl
3. Pour the egg mixture into the chocolate mixture until smooth, then stir in the vanilla.
4. Freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Once the ice cream has finished churning, fold in the marshmallows, walnuts and chocolate chips.


1 comment:

  1. Sara. Wow. I hope your friend Josh really appreciates you! This ice cream looks so tempting!
    ...and creamy.
    ...and delicious....

    thanks from Malena!

    ReplyDelete