Thursday, September 9, 2010

Fire Roasted Tomato Basil Soup

I first had fire roasted tomato soup at Paradise Bakery, then at Zona 78 I had tomato basil soup, so I decided, why not fire roasted tomato basil soup, with roasted red peppers.  Sounds interesting?  It is!!!  Healthy, tasty, and fun, is there anything better than that?  Oh, yes, there is, the chocolate, white chocolate chip cookies...that is actually what I was eating while the making of this soup, but I also ate the soup!!!  Eat away!!

 Fire Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
1 onions, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp olive oil
28 oz can San Marzano whole tomatoes                                        
14 oz can Muir Glen fire roasted diced tomatoes
8 oz can tomato sauce
6 oz can v-8 juice
2 oz of roasted red peppers
4 cups water
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper                                                                      
2 cups milk
¼ cup basil, torn or chopped into small pieces
½  cup spinach

In a dutch oven saute onion in olive oil until almost translucent. Add garlic and continue to saute a few minutes more. Add tomatoes, sauce, juice and paste, red peppers, basil as well as water. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to simmer for 30 minutes. Puree in blender, or with immersion blender until desired consistency. (I like mine slightly chunky but you should puree until your hearts content) Add milk and seasonings and continue to simmer for another 5 or 1o minutes.  For extra flavor I sometimes add 1 Tbsp or so of chicken bouillon.

3 comments:

  1. Sally sue, I love roasted tomato soup, sounds like a great variation. Let me know when you create a recipe for all those eagles hanging around the northern Tucson area. much lvs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eagle souffle just for you anytime Tys!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to try this soup...it makes me hungry looking at it... in the event that I can't find canned fire roasted tomatoes, have you ever fire-roasted tomatoes? Would love a tutorial on that sometime!

    Thanks from Malena!

    ReplyDelete