Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Roasted Chicken in my Oven makes me Happy!

I always loved buying a rotisserie chicken. They were hot and tasty and you could make a wonderful bone broth with them. Out here in rural r us, reasonably priced groceries are just not as available. I started buying whole chickens at Costco and freezing them to roast in the oven.  I had been using a very good recipe from Barefoot Contessa, but then this one came up from New York times that caught my eye. It said to use rhubarb, but I didn't have any, but I had blackberries and thought they might go well with chicken....and boy howdy they did! So my husband declared this chicken a triumph and bonus it made an incredible broth for what become chicken noodle soup. So Bon Appetite!

Roast Chicken with Blackberry Sauce

For the Chicken:
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
3/4 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 large garlic clove, grated or minced
1 whole chicken, cleaned out (which means reach in that cavity and pull out the neck and gizzards..so gross)
3 thyme sprigs (I just used dried thyme..but I am going to plant lemon thyme and use that!)
1 purple onion, sliced into rings, salted and put to the side.

In a small bowl, combine salt, ground coriander, lemon zest, ginger, pepper and garlic. Rub it all over chicken, including inside the cavity and under the skin. Stuff Thyme springs into the cavity (or just shake some dried herbs in it)

Place chicken in pan, and marinate, uncovered, in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or preferabley overnight (I did 3 hours and it was awesome)

When ready to roast the chicken, heat oven to 425 degrees....that's hot baby...generously pour olive oil over the chicken. Put blackberry sauce on top of the chicken.  Roast for 20-25 minutes and then lower the temperture in the oven to 400 degrees. Place onions around the chicken. Roast for another 25 -30 minutes until the skin is golden and the internal temperature in the breast registers 165 degrees.
Let rest for as long as you can stand it up to 10 minutes. Slice and add gather the blackberry sauce as a garnish. mmmmmm.....

Blackberry Sauce
1/2 cup blackberries, crushed
1/8 cup chicken broth
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/8 teaspoon lemon thyme

Boil together. and simer until thick.  5 minutes.

I am not adding a picture, cuz the ones I took look terrible...but I will add one when I do it again.





No comments:

Post a Comment