Monday, May 6, 2019

Chicken Pot Pie for the Family


                                   Chicken Pot Pie


You know what I love? Yes, I do love that, and that and yes, lots of things…but I really love chicken pot pie! Just ya, soooo good. Luckily my family likes it also, so whenever I have leftover chicken, I make an excuse to make chicken pot pie. So tonight, I am making chicken pot pie (yes, I am just typing chicken pot pie as much as possible)
Planting taters!
Of course I like anything that starts with sautéing an onion, garlic and various and sundry vegetables. Sometimes I add potatoes from the huge bags that keep showing up from generous famers, but I didn't this time. I don't know why? I got to watch them plant potatoes last week in the field next to me! So cool. So anyways...here we go!

Recipe and stream of consciousness commentary:
In a large saute pan on medium heat add:
1 teaspoon of oil and a pat of butter (I just love the taste of vegetables and butter)
½ onion, chopped (and if you can hunt and gather it from a field near by your house, go for it …ps it was legal they had already harvested…we just hunted and gathered what was leftover)
2 garlic cloves, minced or pushed through that cool garlic press thing…I guess it is called a garlic press, who knew?Probably you...


Sauté those for a bit and then add:
3 carrots peeled and diced
3 celery stalks, chopped
½-1 cup of peas (just depending on your love of peas and how much is left over in the freezer
Once all these veggies are soft and fragrant (ps I add a pinch of salt to them as they cook down)
Add:
¾ cups of flour and stir it into the vegetables for a minute
Stir in:
 2 cups of chicken broth
½ cup milk (I had some sour cream so I put a dollop of it in also
Add salt and pepper to taste and viola! You made your own cream of chicken soup with vegetables!
Turn to medium-low and stir until thick and bubbly. If too think add some more milk and cream.
Add 2 cups of shredded or diced chicken and stir baby stir.
Pour into pie crust. Add top crust and put 4 slits in the top so it won’t explode.
Cook at 425 degrees for 30-40 minutes, and leave it warming in the oven until your husband comes home from work.

 
Butter Pie Crust
I usually make a different pie crust that you can find on here somewhere. But, I didn’t have shortening and did I mention I love butter…so I am trying this one.
It works for one 9-inch double pie crust…aka the top and the bottom, or two bottoms or two tops
Start with 2 ½ cups flour
Add:
1 teaspoon of salt
1 Tablespoon sugar (the recipe says optional…whatever, sugar is never optional in my world)
Mix it a bit and add:
1 cup very cold butter, cut into ½ inch cubes
Use a pastry cutter thing or a couple of knives and cut the butter into flour mixture until crumbly and pea size
Add 8 tablespoon of ice water
Press the dough into itself using a rubber spatula. The crumbs should begin to for larger clusters. The dough should start holding together.
Remove the dough from the bowl and place in a mound on a semi clean surface. Kidding! It should be mostly clean and move the magazines and mail a little further away from where you plopped the dough, or they will be doughy too…maybe a friend had this experience. Perhaps.
Work the dough just enough to form a ball. Cut ball in half and wrap in plastic wrap and put in the fridge
When thou art ready to roll, place the dough on a lightly floured surface. I like to put it on parchment paper, cut parchment paper is the bomb and make it easier to transfer to a pie pan without a disaster. (See title of blog)
Roll, roll, roll that dough until nice and round. Make sure it fits upon the pan and slowly slide in on. (you can sing the entire last sentence to the tune of row, row, row your boat…just sayin’)
For better directions see the originator of the recipe at:


No comments:

Post a Comment