Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Whole Grain, Molasses Pancakes


I was talking to a friend and she was having pancakes for dinner, and although I was excited by my black bean and corn salad wrap, I decided I wanted pancakes more.  But since I am working so hard on my diet and exercise, I wanted to keep it whole grain and delicious.  Because you know I am picky!  I added molasses, which is super good for you (I added a blurb about the health benefits of molasses at the bottom from world's healthiest foods)  So here are some happy, healthy pancakes, that I am eating for dinner tonight with my peach-vanilla syrup that I made.  They really are tasty and are pretty good for you.  I can't wait for dinner!!! 
Whole Grain, Molasses Pancakes

2 cups flour
1 cup oats (I used Coach’s Oats)
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ tsp cinnamon
¼- ½ cup sugar (you decide what level of sweetness you want)
2 eggs, beaten
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup milk
1 ½ cups water
1 tbsp molasses (I may have put in 2 tbsps…cuz I love molasses)

In a bowl mix dry ingredients.  Then add eggs, vanilla, milk, water, molasses to dry ingredients.  Mix well.

Spray griddle with cooking spray or grease lightly.  Pour about ¼ of mix onto the hot griddle.  Flip when golden brown….and add your favorite toppings and enjoy!

Makes about 18 pancakes.  I considered 3 pancakes a serving.  I put the recipe in the calorie counter I use to track my calories, but you can put in recipes and figure it out also…so here is what I found:

Per Serving: 318 calories 60 grams Carbs 4 grams fat 12 grams protein 7 grams fiber

Health benefits of Molasses
Blackstrap molasses is a sweetener that is actually good for you. Unlike refined white sugar and corn syrup, which are stripped of virtually all nutrients except simple carbohydrates, or artificial sweeteners like saccharine or aspartame, which not only provide no useful nutrients but have been shown to cause health problems in sensitive individuals, blackstrap molasses is a healthful sweetener that contains significant amounts of a variety of minerals that promote your health.
Molasses is also an excellent source of copper and manganese and a very good source of potassium, and magnesium, and calcium and iron.



No comments:

Post a Comment