Sunday, August 28, 2011

Curried Chicken Over Spinach







 Well, some more healthy eats brought to by the World's Healthiest Foods website.  This one is both sweet and savory.  I am really picky about my curry powder, if it is too strong, I can not eat it.  I found a wonderful one at Penzeys.  This recipe didn't originally call for sweet potato or quinoa.  I added them to up the complex nutritional level and to make it a little more filling.  I have found that quinoa stays with me a little longer, and with my long days, things that help me not be hungry is important.  So if you don't have quinoa or sweet potato, no big deal, you can still make it as is and it will be fantastic.  So curry away!












Curried Chicken Over Spinach
Curried Chicken Over Spinach
Prep and Cook Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients:
·                         3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces (6oz each)
·                         1 1/2 cup chicken stock
·                         3 cloves garlic, sliced
·                         1 TBS fresh ginger chopped, or 1/2 tsp dried
·                         1 tsp curry powder
·                         1 medium sized onion, cut in half and sliced
·                         1 medium sized red bell pepper julienne about 1 inch long
             1/2 sweet potato peeled and chopped...or as I do it, chopped then peeled. 
·                         1/2 cup coconut milk, make sure it is mixed well before using ( used a whole cup since I mixed in quinoa)
            1/2 cup quinoa
·                         4 bunches fresh spinach
·                         salt & white pepper to taste
**after making this, I found the flavors still a little too strong for me, so I added a dollop of plain greek yogurt, it was perfect, and made it a lovely creamy consistency. 
Directions:




  1. Bring water to a boil for spinach. While water is coming to a boil, cut chicken into bite sized pieces. Healthy Sauté onion in a medium sauté pan over medium low heat for about 5 minutes stirring frequently. Add garlic and fresh ginger and continue to sauté for another minute. Add and curry and mix well. Add , chicken, bell peppers, and sweet potato. Saute for 2 minutes.  Add stock, quinoa and coconut milk and simmer until chicken is done, about 12 minutes. Season with salt and white pepper.
  2. While chicken is cooking, cut ends off the bunch of spinach all at once. Don't bother trying to do it one stem at a time. It will take you too long and it is not necessary. Rinse spinach well and drop into boiling water for just 1 minute. Strain and press dry. Season with salt and pepper.
  3. Place spinach on plates and top with chicken mixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment