Saturday, February 5, 2011

Lettuce Wrap baby

Still working on the whole healthy food kick.  I had a lot of lettuce, and well, lettuce wrap seemed like a great way to extend my rice and lentil experiment.  Since I often work 12-14 hour days, I have found the brown rice and lentils have really kept me from getting hungry and has been keeping my energy up.   However, I get bored with the same foods, so I have to keep finding new ways to kick up the flavor.  I found this Moroccan lentil dish, and it had me had red wine vinegar...I knew that would help kick it up!  I added some of my own flavors, and served it in lettuce.  It is just right.  So live well, eat well and love well!!!


Moroccan Lentils and Chicken
Ingredients
DRESSING
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
**I added a couple tablespoons of honey for sweet, sassy fun!
LENTILS and Rice
½ onion, chopped
½ bell pepper. Chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 carrot chopped
Vegetables sautéed together, and add 1 tbsp chicken bouillon/ and or salt
4 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
½ pound green or brown lentils, 1/3 cup brown rice (I used a brown rice medley, that included black barley and radish seeds)
CHICKEN ( I marinated in polynesian sauce for a couple hours first)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 1/2 pounds skinless boneless chicken breast halves, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Preparation
1. Dressing: Add the olive oil, vinegar, cumin, chili powder, garlic, cinnamon, and salt to a blender bottle or jar with a tight lid. Shake until ingredients are well combined. Set aside.
2. Saute the vegetables, when soft add rice and lentils: Combine water and salt in heavy large saucepan over high heat. Add lentils; bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until lentils are tender and have absorbed the water completely, about 30 minutes. Stir in 3 or 4 tablespoons of the dressing.
3. Chicken: Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in large skillet over high heat. Add onion and sauté until dark brown and soft, about 5 minutes. Add chicken and sauté 2 minutes. Add salt, cumin, chili powder, and cinnamon. Sauté until chicken is cooked through, about 3 minutes longer.
4. Place a serving of lentils on a plate and cover with sliced chicken and dressing. Garnish with chopped parsley.

3 comments:

  1. Sara,
    good idea to use lettuce this way...we get alot from the farmer's market that I need to use up before it's no good...this looks yummy; I really like that lentil recipe...can't wait to try!!
    Thanks from Malena :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This chicken and lintil recipe looks heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey sally,
    Tito is on a diet right now where protein and veggies are the main deal, and lentils are definitely on the good side. So Ima for sure going to make this one, but I think with out the rice for him and with the rice for me!! Nothing white (not even brown rice) in the diet. Also you might like this diet -- 6 days a week you are on it, mostly greens, legumes, and meat, but the fun (or sickening) part of the diet is you get one "off" day a week, so anything goes all day, all the sugar and carbs you want, you don't even have to eat anything healthy if you don't want to. It is supposed to help jolt the system and rebalance everything. Anyway, I don't know why I talked so long on that. :) This looks yummy. And the meat loaf, I think that is next. Mmm bacon wrapped donut-- Uh,-I mean meatloaf.
    Jen

    ReplyDelete