Thursday, July 11, 2019

Rhubarb Custard Pie

Some friends asked if we wanted some rhubarb. I said yep and my husband went to get it.  He came back with a ginormous pile! I processed and froze most of it...but not all of it! One of my favorite pies is rhubarb custard pie. It is super easy and a delicious way to get your veggies? I added a pistachio for no real reason but to do something different.  It is just fabulous without it, and I am not sure it added anything to it, but it looked interesting and pretty and that is important...right?
I am back to using my mom's pie crust recipe. I have tried others, but they just don't do the job as well as this one!


Rhubarb Custard Pie
1 unbaked pie shell
3-4 cups of rhubarb, cut up into nice little pieces
1 1/4 cups sugar
3 eggs beaten to within a inch of their lives
1 cup heavy whipping cream, ya boy!!
3 Tbsp flour
1/2 tsp salt

Put the rhubarb in the pie shell.
Mix all the other ingredients together and pour over the rhubarb (yes, it is seriously that simple)
Bake for 10 minutes at 400 and then lower to 350 and cook another 40.
Pull it out and cool and put vanilla ice cream on it and devour!

When I use my frozen rhubarb I will make sure it is thawed and patted extra dry and maybe add another tablespoon of flour.

Pie Crust
Combine
2 1⁄2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 cup shortening
Cut into flour with a pastry cutter or knife until it looks like cornmeal
Combine
1⁄4 cup cold water
1 Tbsp vinegar
1 egg, beaten
Add liquids to dry ingredients with a fork until dough sticks together. Divide into two balls. Place ball
between two pieces of waxed paper. Place upside down pie pan on top of rolled out dough and flip over.
Remove last piece of waxed paper. Fit loosely into pan and trim edge 1⁄2 to 1 inch beyond edge. Crimp
edges with fingers. Fill and bake according to recipe. If baked pie shell is needed, prick bottom and sides
well with a fork and bake at 375 degree for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 2 9-inch
pie crusts.


No comments:

Post a Comment