Friday, October 14, 2011

Sara’s Butternut Squash and Vegetable Soup

I still had a bunch of butternut squash leftover from making the muffins.  I wanted to do something different with it, and I wanted to give into making something involving brown sugar and...no that's it....brown sugar, but I decided I should do something more healthy, nutritious and warm.  Well, it is suppose to be fall already...who cares if it is 100 degrees.   So I looked through several recipes and they didn't really have what I was looking for, so I made a compilation recipe and it works for me!!!  some recipes puree all the vegetables after being cooked, but I like seeing my veggies.  So, for my first squash soup I am pleased. 





Sara’s Butternut  Squash and Vegetable Soup
  •  
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 2 stalk celery, chopped                                                                                   
  • 2 medium carrot, chopped
  • 2 medium potatoes, cubed
  • 1 medium butternut squash - peeled, seeded, roasted and pureed
  • 1 (32 fluid ounce) container chicken or vegetable stock
  • ½ - ¾ cup of plain greek yogurt
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
  • Dash of curry powder

Melt 2 Tbsp of butter in a large saucepan, add onion and sauté until soft, add garlic, celery, carrots, potatoes and sauté until cooked, add spices.
When everything is cooked add pureed squash, yogurt and chicken stock, simmer for 20 minutes. 
(roasted sweet potatoes would also be nice in this soup)
To prepare butternut squash cut it in half, scoop out seeds.  Place face down on a baking sheet and bake it, , at 400F for 30 to 40 minutes (depending on the size). Let cool, the flesh scoops out easily with a spoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment