Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Black Bean and Sweet Potato Chimichangas.


When I first saw this recipe I was suspicious.  Whenever a recipe says "vegan"  I start to think, "not a chance in he%$"  Why?  It is a whole psycho-social reactionary thing...but, I can handle vegetarian, but mostly I want healthy and tasty.  I keep trying to find ways to use beans and vegetables in  nourishing and delicious ways, and this is it baby.  Now, I will mention, that I did find a way to make it non vegan, and after a few fixes, ended up making it more chimichanga style.  Yum!

Black Beans and Sweet Potato Chimi's
Ingredients:
2 Tbsp oil
1/2 onion
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
handful of spinach
1 clove of garlic
1 roasted, and chopped green chili or 1 4 oz can of green chilies
2 cups of cooked black beans, or 1 can rinsed and drained (I used black beans with jalapenos to up the spice)
2 chopped medium tomatoes (or 1 can of diced tomatoes)
1/2 cup sweet corn
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
salt and pepper
12 flour tortillas (I used Mission's new blue corn and flax...they were good!)

 salsa


optional toppings:
plain greek yogurt, avocado slices, cheese...anything else that makes you happy.

Saute onion until translucent, add garlic and sweet potatoes.  Saute until soft, add spinach, green chilis, black beans, tomatoes and spices.  Simmer together and adjust seasoning to taste. 

Spray bottom of 9x13 pan with  non stick spray, add a 1/2 cup of salsa to the bottom of the pan.  Place filling in the middle of a tortilla, roll and place seam to the side, place on top of salsa.  Continue with the rest of tortilla and fillings and add to pan.  Place dots of butter to the top of the tortilla's add another quarter cup of salsa.  

Cook at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.  Flip over and add more butter to the top of the tortillas and add a handful of cheese , if you are non vegaing and desire cheese.  ook until brown and crispy, another 5 minutes or so. 


Add other toppings and eat!  Fantastic!!  I really enjoyed it. 

1 comment:

  1. Ha Ha Ha! Love this post...and this recipe!!
    I don't like vegan that much either so I will follow your example!
    Thanks from Malena :)

    ReplyDelete