Saturday, October 16, 2010

Kiwi Salad and bonus Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette Recipe


I am back on a fruit and vegetable kick...I always have lots of fruits and vegetables, but, they often take a lot of prep, which I haven't had time to do.  However, I decided that I need to make it priority.  So I am making a big salad and a fruit salad during the weekend, so that I have some to eat all week.  Here is a fruit salad recipe, that is super simple, but I mostly wanted to introduce you to the website it came from, if you aren't already familiar with it: http://whfoods.org.    This site has in-depth nutritional analysis of fruits and vegetables and even has an analysis of the kiwi salad.  So look it up, and see what you can see!!!  I also made a honey balsamic vinaigrette to have on my green salad.  Have a healthy day!
Kiwi Salad
Ingredients:
  • 6 kiwifruit, peeled and sliced
  • 1 cup sliced strawberries
  • 1 cup fresh pineapple cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 1 TBS lemon juice(I used freshly squeezed orange juice)
  • 1 tsp honey 
  • ***I also added: grapes, sliced banana and pomegranate seeds. 
Directions:
  1. Mix all ingredients together and serve immediately. Serves 4

     
From: http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=recipe&dbid=190                          




Honey Balsamic Vinaigrette

 
Original Recipe Yield 1 1/2 cups                                                                             

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 3 tablespoons honey
  • 1 tablespoon white sugar
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil

Directions

1.  I just put it all together...but the recipe says to do the following...but I don't  :)                       

Place the vinegar, onion, soy sauce, honey, sugar, garlic, and red pepper flakes into a blender. Puree on high, gradually adding the olive oil. Continue pureeing 2 minutes, or until thick.

1 comment:

  1. Yum, Sara!

    That fruit salad looks delicious! I think I can get all of those ingredients and whip one up....
    today!!
    Thanks for the vinaigrette, too...

    :) Malena

    ReplyDelete