Saturday, June 9, 2012

Moroccan Quinoa Salad

I started doing the Pintrest thing recently.  I only have recipes and ideas for first grade, but that consumes my life as is, so now it consumes my interneting.  I found this recipe that someone else had pinned.  I changed a few things, and will probably change things every time I make it, depending on what I have available.  It is really delicious, and extremely healthy.  I am well pleased.  I just won't mention that I have lemon cookies made and vanilla icecream in the works...ah well....can't be perfect all of the time!!!!  xoxo


Moroccan Quinoa Salad (slightly modified from Chef Dennis…who slightly modified it from someone else)

http://www.askchefdennis.com/2010/04/morrocan-quinoa-salad/

1 cup Quinoa

2 cups Water

1 16 oz can of Chick Peas drained

2 cloves of garlic finely chopped

A couple dashes cumin powder

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon Salt
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil


2 zucchini sliced and roasted in the oven with olive oil and salt for 10 minutes, until brown on both sides
1/2 cup of dried cranberries
1/2 cup spicy pumpkin seeds (I got mine at sunflower market)

Start by cooking the Quinoa, first sear the grains just a little before adding the water, almost toasting them…start with a little olive oil in your sauce pan then add your Quinoa (depending upon what brand you are using you may need to rinse it first), just let it saute stirring it around for a minute or two, then add your water let it come to a boil, reduce the heat to simmer and cover for 15-20 minutes. When Quinoa is done fluff with a fork and allow to cool fluffing with a fork while cooling.
While the Quinoa is cooking, start your chick peas. Take a saute pan add the olive oil and garlic, let the garlic saute briefly then add chick peas and all of the seasonings and mix thoroughly. Allow the chick peas to pick up some color while they are cooking, turning then occasionally. Saute the Chick Peas for 10-15 minutes reducing heat if necessary. Chick Peas should have a nice golden brown color.
Add Quinoa to Chick Peas, with the rest of the ingredients, mix well and taste. You may re season to your taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment